Saturday, September 1, 2012

grandad

Yesterday we said our final "goodbye" to my Grandad, well, for a while, anyway.
We all knew this day would come... it will come for all of us, but you can never EVER prepare yourself for the moment you have to say "goodbye."
I was so so blessed to be able to go see him last weekend & so glad I called him in the hospital and heard one last "I love you" before he was unresponsive.  My grandparents are oh-so-near & dear to me!  My mom started a very strong relationship between us when we were kids... she made sure we visited frequently with my Grandad (my dad's dad) even after my parent's divorce & my love for him has grown so strong over the years.

I admire him.  He worked hard his entire life & he had so many stories to share.  He was a postman for 36 years, delivering mail by foot.  He was a handy man... he rebuilt his Ford with his own two hands {a project he worked on my entire life... it was his baby}.  Grandad was a man of few, if any, complaints... quite admirable & a life lesson I should take from him!



When we were in San Diego last summer, I used to call home frequently.  I always worried about Grandad's health & what we would do if we couldn't make it home to see him {a conversation I would have with my sister-in-law often}.  The flight was expensive & time isn't always on our side.  I strongly believe, & am so blessed, that God brought us to Maryland during this time.  We are only a few hours from my home town & I had the opportunity to make it in to be with him before he passed.  God had a plan!



My sister-in-law took these pictures of the originals with her phone... they're blurry, but I just love them!  I really think my Grandad was my first Prince Charming!  That love that a little girl has for her daddy, I had the same love for my Grandad... and it never died out.


This picture was taken at my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party!  I have never seen two people love each other as much as my Nana & Grandad loved each other!  I learned so much about what true love really is just by watching them!  When my Nana passed 12 years ago, Grandad's world was never the same.  You could tell that he just wasn't complete without my Nana by his side.  I mean, how cute are they?!?


I am so so grateful that Grandad got to meet Norah!  He is oh-so-proud of his family & lights up with every new addition to it.  I know Norah will never remember the day she got to meet her Great Grandad, but it's a moment I will cherish for the rest of my life!  It meant the world to me & I know it was a special moment for him, too!  I will have many stories to tell her when she gets older of her Great grandparents!


The ceremony was so special yesterday.  The grand kids compiled a eulogy that brought tears to our eyes & filled our hearts with so much love.  It's never easy to say goodbye, especially to somebody I have loved as much as my Grandad.  I know he was with each and every one of us yesterday... as we were leaving the grave site, I took one last look & saw two dragonflies flying over the tent above his casket.  He is with my Nana again & they are both looking down on us from heaven.  It was exactly the sign I needed to set my heart at peace {read the significance of the dragonfly here}.  I will miss him every day that follows!  Nobody will ever be able to fill the shoes of my Grandad.  He is one of a kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment