Monday, October 17, 2011

luck o' the irish

We've made it to Pensacola and everyone is settled into their temporary homes.
Let me just say, it sure isn't Coronado, CA.  I drive around the city with my doors locked & you wouldn't catch me dead walking around without somebody by my side.
I know I spent a long time in Vermont, but even some of the scariest parts of Philly are a little less intimidating than this city.  From what I've been told, it's not uncommon for military towns to be in some of the worst locations.  
Note to self: find an apartment much further away from the base {maybe the beach areas are nicer... I hear they have some of the most beautiful white sand beaches here}.

In our search for a safe & semi-normal place to enjoy our weekends, we found a not-so-little Irish Pub in downtown.  It's an Irish girl's heaven.  Brad and I have been there twice... once for dinner & again because we just had to share it with a good friend.  During our first dinner date in Pensacola, we were serenaded by a live bagpiper.  I can't begin to explain my excitement.  I think it consisted of some clapping and jumping up and down in my booth.  I'm definitely an Irish girl through & through.

 
There is over a million dollars hanging from the ceiling throughout the restaurant.  The story goes that a waitress hung her first tip on the wall of the restaurant & everyone else followed suit.  If you hang a dollar from the ceiling you get a card officially declaring you an Irishman!




Brad was so excited to learn that they brew their own beer here!  I imagine I would have joined in the same excitement if I could indulge in a glass or two, but this baby has put drinking on hold for a very long time!

 When Brad finds a restaurant, I think he makes it a personal goal to try the most obscure item on the menu.  Well, I don't think it gets any stranger than this:


It's McGuire's Terrible Garbage Burger.  I can't even begin to tell you what is on it, but I can tell you that Brad didn't finish half of it before having it boxed up & brought it home.  He made it through the ice cream, chocolate hot sauce, bacon, wasabi, & maybe the corned beef.  It sounds disgusting, it looks disgusting & the menu describes it as "some of everything - it's absolutely disgusting."  That about sums it up.  I'll stick to my salad & baked potato.

We sure did find our new regular place!  One of the benefits of Pensacola -- everything is MUCH more affordable than San Diego.  You don't feel like you're spending your life savings whenever you go out for a dinner date.  I have to admit, I love that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, this chicadee had to go shopping today.  There's nothing more frustrating than not fitting into any of your clothes anymore.  I was never the type of person to try on 10 different outfits before finding the one that satisfied me for the day, but this morning I became that person & it was quite exhausting.  So, Brad and I ventured out to the mall to buy some mommy-to-be clothes.  I loved it & Brad could see it written all over my face that I was in desperate need of some retail therapy & some clothes that my baby belly will fit into.  Now, I just need to stay away from the mall & the restaurants!




No comments:

Post a Comment