Tuesday, July 5, 2011

the 4th

Brad was so lucky to be able to graduate on the centennial of the Great Lakes Recruit Training Command & we were equally as lucky to have it fall on the 4th of July weekend.  That meant an extra day of not missing work, a lot of extra festivities & an extra day with my husband {kind of}.  What I mean is we didn't have to rush home on Sunday to get to work by Monday.  That was a nice feeling!

Unfortunately, we had to say our goodbyes to Brad last night.  We were supposed to rendezvous this morning for breakfast, but his duties as a sailor had changed & we had to say our goodbyes last night.  I wasn't ready for it.  I didn't want to leave {I still don't}, but because my husband is always so good with words and shooing away what my sister-in-law would call the "devil in my head," I actually was able to leave him a little more peacefully last night than I ever imagined I could.

We had a wonderful weekend & as much as I initially said I wanted to do "this" and see "that" while we were in Chicago, I found myself much happier relaxing with my hubby & not running around creation trying to fit in as much as possible.  It was the perfect weekend.

On the day before graduation, I was able to stick my toes in Lake Michigan... oooh it's like sticking your toes in the water in Maine in the middle of August.  I don't think it ever warms up.
Pretty pedicures!

We were so lucky that Brad was able to receive late liberty on Sunday and Monday night.  We were able to watch the fireworks from Ross Field {where Brad's graduation took place}.  I think we said a few times "They don't have fireworks like this in Vermont."  The beginning, and all throughout, was very much like the finales back home.

{sorry for the poor cell phone quality}

It was so nice to just be able to stand next to Brad and enjoy the moment.  And when they played "Anchors Aweigh" the entire crowd of sailors joined in singing.  It sent goosebumps up my spine {no matter how many times I've heard that song & have claimed I could go without hearing it again it was one heck of a memorable moment}.  :-)


Today begins the second leg of the drive to Arizona.  Brad and I will be closer to each other sooner than we expected.  I can't wait 'til then!  The past 4 days have been perfect & I can't wait to get back to "real" life.

No comments:

Post a Comment