Saturday, July 2, 2011

100 years

The day I have been waiting so long for has come and gone!  And what an amazing day it was!
We arrived on the base before the sun even came up to celebrate Brad's Navy graduation...
...and we waited quite some time for the celebration {but we had the perfect seats for the event}.

As we sat and waited we heard chants coming from the rear field, so Brad's mom & I went for a walk to find out what the commotion was...  the sailors were lined up waiting to begin the ceremony, so we snuck in some pictures...


...he looks so handsome!  I had butterflies in my stomach at the immediate sighting of him.  I wanted so badly to run up and wrap my arms around his neck, but I knew getting his attention would just distract him, so I kept a healthy distance... he didn't even know we were there!

The ceremony was beautiful.  It kicked off with a rain shower or two & the 105 degree weather they were calling for turned out to be quite chilly.  I had the privilege of sharing my umbrella with the Master Chief of the Navy {he's the highest ranking sailor in the entire US Navy}.  





Brad's division was inducted into the Hall of Fame.  They are one of only 4 other divisions that have received that honor this year.  They have spent the last two months working so hard for their achievements & it definitely paid off!  They received 9 flags for excelled skills and how exciting that all of this happened on the centennial birthday of the Great Lakes boot camp?!?!  Such an honor!

Looking back on it, it all seemed to go so fast, but I know I spent the entire time wishing it would go by just a little bit quicker.  When it did come to an end & liberty was called, I couldn't wait to find Brad!  The moment I hugged him was one of the most amazing moments of my life.  I didn't think I would ever let go!




Saying goodbye tonight was so tough.  I can't even imagine what Tuesday will feel like.  I'm trying really hard not to think about it too much and enjoy the next couple of days to their fullest.  It was funny to watch Brad use electronics again for the first time in two months.  You forget how removed they are from the "real world."  But, I can't tell you how nice it was to be able to hear his voice on the phone before going to bed.  It really is the little things in life.  I have a lot of respect for the sailors and their families from years past who didn't have technology to stay in touch.  I am so grateful that we have cell phones & internet to get us through.  I'm not sure I could do it without!

To Brad:  Words could never explain how much I have missed you over the past two months & how happy I am to be together again {even if it's temporary for now}.  No matter how difficult the past has been & the unknown that is yet to come will be, I am beyond proud of you & support you 120% through all of this.  I will forever love you & am so happy to have you as my husband!  I really am the luckiest girl in the world!!!  I love you with all of my heart!!!


1 comment:

  1. What great pictures!!! You and Brad look great in the pictures!!! Enjoy your time together, you both have been waiting awhile for this day. Take in all the events, this is a day you will both remember forever!!

    Make sure you have some time with just the two of you! That is so important after the last 8 weeks. You need time to reconnect and prepare for the next 4 weeks or so.
    Way to go Brad....we are all so proud of you! You have a very supportive wife by your side!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete