Friday, May 13, 2011

birthdays.

Birthdays... we get one every year.  Mine hasn't been my favorite day of the year in recent years.  Admit it, who really wants to get older??  Anyone else's birthday, I love.  I adore celebrating the day Brad came into this world (best day in history, in my opinion), but my own, I don't see the point in making a fuss.   I always tell Brad, it's just another day.  I enjoy spending each birthday curled up on the couch next to my husband with our dog at our feet, watching a movie, worrying about absolutely nothing.  Those are some of the best birthdays!

When Brad signed his contract in April, they told him his ship date was May 10th.  I'll admit, I was sad to know he would be shipping out two days before my birthday.  I felt a little better about the whole situation when they changed his ship date to May 4th.  It gave me a whole week to try to get used to his departure.  But, no matter when he shipped, my birthday still wasn't the same without him.

I prayed I would get a phone call from him yesterday to wish me a happy birthday.  I knew it was a far fetch & I was told by somebody who had already been through the boot camp process that I wouldn't get a phone call until his halfway point (only 3 calls over the duration of boot camp).  I was bummed, but, when I received my mail at work & saw an envelope with Brad's name in the top left hand corner & his handwriting, I was ecstatic!  That was the next best thing to a phone call!  What are the odds that it arrived on my birthday??  When I opened the envelope & saw it was a packet of information regarding boot camp & a graduation date, I was equally as excited even though it wasn't a hand written letter from Brad.  I now have an actual date to look forward to & I cannot wait to see my husband in his uniform in a month and a half!  I was determined that my birthday couldn't get any better from this point. :-)

I have some pretty amazing people surrounding me every day of my life.  My dear friends & co-workers planned dinner at a local restaraunt to help keep my mind off of the fact that the most important person in my life was missing from the party.  They did a darn good job at keeping me happy!  Thank you all!!!  We had a great time & who could beat $5 burger Thursdays?!?  I think we just found a new Thursday ritual!  When I excused myself from the table for a few minutes, I put a co-worker in charge of watching my phone in case Brad called (wishful thinking), but we left the restaraunt and no phone call.  I was pretty confident it wasn't going to happen at this point.

Since I spent little time at home yesterday, I took Damon outside to play & left my cell phone on the kitchen counter only to come into the house to 3 missed calls, a voicemail from Brad and a text from a friend.  He called... and I missed it!!!  What are the odds?  I carried my cell phone with me EVERYWHERE ALL DAY & the one second I lose hope, that's the moment he proves me wrong (he's so good at that).  Luckily for me, he called back & I was right there to answer the phone.  His phone call was the best birthday present I have EVER received.  I can't imagine what he had to do to pay for that phone call, but hearing my husband's voice was all I wanted & he delivered.  And now I have a voicemail that I can listen to whenever I'm missing his voice!

For all of you wondering, he says he's doing well.  We're both counting down the days to the end of boot camp and seeing each other again.  Eight weeks is a long time, but it could be worse.  The Army has a longer boot camp & the Police Academy is twice as long.  As much as I miss my husband, I couldn't be prouder of him!  He's living his dreams & I'm so happy to be a part of them!

In 7 weeks, I will be in Chicago hugging my sailor!  I am wishing the days away!

My husband has changed my mind about my birthdays.  I don't ever want to have another one that doesn't involve the two of us laying on the couch with our dog at our feet, watching a movie, worrying about absolutely nothing.  With his career, this is probably wishful thinking, too, but I'll keep dreaming! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment