Sunday, March 6, 2011

oops...

...I somehow skipped a week of blogging about my Couch to 5k program.  Maybe because it was still a little too elementary for me.  Honestly, I found it to be extremely tedious.  I'm not a fan of interval training.  I think I would enjoy running for 10 minutes straight rather than 90 seconds on & off between a jog and a walk.

In the beginning of week 2, Brad took me to Albany to get fitted for a new pair of sneakers.  I was previously running in a pair of Nike Cross Trainers.  And hands down, they have been the most uncomfortable sneakers I have ever owned.  I haven't liked them since day one!  I will admit, I bought them because they were cute {the guy at Fleet Feet joked with me that most people buy sneakers because they're cute, not because they're practical...oops}.  But, the experience of getting fitted for a pair of sneakers was TOTALLY worth it!  He put me in a pair of pink New Balances {LOVED the color}, but they felt like I was walking on cardboard.  I had always heard great things about New Balance, so I was a little bummed that they reminded me so much of my Nikes.  I then tried on the Asics & the Sauconys {of which I'm noticing EVERYONE pronounces differently... haha... how DO you say that??}.  The Asics & Saucony's were so similar in comfort & fit.  It was a bit of a difficult decision, but the Asics had slightly more padding at the ball of the foot.  They feel like you're running on a cloud.  Brad SWEARS by Asics & I used to always tell him it was in his head.  Now, I'll be surprised if I buy anything but.  When Brad went to the shoe store for his fitting, they put him on the treadmill to see how he landed when running.  I was really bummed they didn't have me do this step.  I really wanted to see how I ran on the tv {besides, I don't get the opportunity to watch myself run all that often}.  But, the assistant was pretty confident in how I walk/run just by watching me run throughout the store.  Now, let me tell you, I've NEVER spent so much money on a pair of sneakers in my life, but it was completely worth every penny!  My first week of running the C25k program, I was getting a lot of calf tightness & pain {mostly in my right leg} & I knew it was all due to the sneakers.  I didn't notice it at all today.  It's a great feeling! 

Today, I completed week 3 of Couch to 5k.  More interval training... I should probably get used to it, that's what the majority of this program is.  I started with a 5 mintue warm-up walk, jogged for 90 seconds, walked for 90 seconds... ran for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes... and repeat.  I have been adding a little more running into the program this week because the 20 minutes was not enough of a workout for me.  I know they tell you to stick with the program, but I figured it couldn't hurt to add an additional 3 minute run, 3 minute walk to the workout.  Next week should be more my speed: I'll be adding 5 minute runs into the intervals. 

Now, I usually LOVE my Sunday workouts.  The gym opens at 1pm & is usually quiet as can be... not today.  Unfortunately, due to the rain, it was PACKED.  I was forced to limit my workout to 30 minutes since people were waiting for equipment.  I just found out that the gym will no longer be open on Sundays beginning April 1st.  This weather better cooperate, otherwise those overly white kicks are going to be brown {the beauties of living on a dirt road during mud season}... and let me tell you, this year is going to be MUDDY!!!

The rain showers today have been nice, actually.  It's good to see a patch of grass across the driveway.  Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of snow out there & we are a long way from spring, but it's the little things like hearing the river flow again, that put a smile on my face.  I love spring in Vermont & I have been looking forward to it for too long!  When I took Damon out this morning, I heard the geese fly overhead, which is a great sign that it's time for them to come home to warm weather.  This will most likely be our last spring in Vermont & I promise, I will enjoy every second of it while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment