Sunday, February 20, 2011

week one {complete}


Since Brad joined the Navy, it is inevitable that we will end up on a beach somewhere & with time-a-ticking, I am in NO shape to be living near a beach.  So, this week I've decided to hunker down and do my best to be bathing suit ready before we leave the mountains of Vermont.

I've been a member of sparkpeople.com for years & have heard so often about Couch to 5k.. basically taking you from couch potato to running a 5k in 9 weeks.  There was a day and time (before winter hit) that I could run a 5k, but I've gotten lazy over the past couple months (winter does that to me EVERY year).  So, I have decided to work my way back into running.  Besides, when the hubster tells me that he runs 8 miles daily, I feel like a lazy tub-a-lub...haha.  I can't tell you how motivating he is.

With the program I feel so motivated to finish each day.  Without it, I'm sure I could find a million reasons not to leave the warm house and head out into the cold winter weather that seems to have returned for a little while.  I found the first week to be really easy... a little too easy & wonder if I should have just jumped right into Couch to 10k, instead, but I figured I'd take baby steps & work my way up to that program at a later date.  I pray we will end up on a beach somewhere that allows me to run year round.  I really want to try my hand at running on a beach (even though people tell me it's so difficult).

So, that picutre is my motivation to get where I want to be before we are surrounded by lots of itty bitty, skinny, bikini wearing chickies.  I will try to keep everyone posted on my progress through the 9 weeks.  First, this girl needs to get her butt to a shoe fitting store for new sneakers.  Probably not a good thing when you can feel the different ridges in the bottom of your sneakers with the bottom of your feet... eek.

Wish me luck! :-)

3 comments:

  1. What great motivation! :) I would love to be able to live on the beach somewhere! I have heard about the couch to 5k program. You will have to let us know how it goes! I am interested in trying it; I am hoping to finish a 5k this spring!

    :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, I ran a 5k two summers ago & really enjoyed it. Granted, I thought I was going to die by the end... I am not a born runner by any stretch of the imagination. I forgot to mention, I found an app on my Droid that took all of the hard work out of the C25k program & having to calculate the intervals. It's basically a stop watch that tells you when to walk and when to run. So, if you have a Droid (or an iPhone, but unlike the Droid, you have to pay for the iPhone app), I highly recommend downloading it. :-)

    Good luck on your 5k. I see on your blog you got out the other day for a run! Good for you!!! It's still getting dark here by the time I get home from work, so I'm stuck on the treadmill for a few more weeks, but the weather was STUNNING the last couple days of this past week! It has me itching for spring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend just told me about that program! I just started working towards running a 5K in the spring! I'm taking Jason along for this workout ride with me! We are currently looking for an inexpensive treadmill, the only condition, it needs to fold down to fit under the bed when we aren't using it! Good luck in your workouts...if you lived closer we could do it together!

    ReplyDelete