Sunday, September 12, 2010

battleship cove

On Labor Day, Brad and I took a trip out to Falls River, MA for a little field trip.  Brad had stumbled upon Battleship Cove online (he swears he went there once as a kid, but cannot confirm nor deny it).  We love touring the USS Slater in Albany, but this takes Navy ships to a whole new level!  I knew he would love it & that alone made it a great day for me!


Battleship Cove is a Navy museum near Providence, RI. 
We spent the entire day touring 5 different ships, including a submarine. 
It's all very fascinating!

I love anchors...


An Army helicopter!  We thought of Craig!!  Way to go on getting your wings, Craig!


I <3 the crackerjack uniforms.


I was too short to be able to look through the binoculars.


There was an entire section in the museum on the Women of War.  It was fascinating.

Looking forward...

The submarine.



This was a wooden Navy ship.  Brad told me it was common to be painted this way.


I loved those wooden shoes from the Philippines.  They had so much detail in them!
All of the memorabilia from different countries was so neat.  Most of it was from WWII
& a lot of it was gifts that sailors sent home to their family when they went to port.
There were ROOMS full of these knick knacks.




Where will we go from here?...



...Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun! I love historical museums like this. We took a tour of the USS Midway in San Diego and it was so much fun. And for some reason I love looking at old military uniforms. There is something romantic about a Sailor in his cracker jacks or the woman in her well tailored dress blues.

    ReplyDelete